Bridgton Hospital Has a Long and Celebrated History
The seeds for a Lakes Region hospital were sown in 1915 when Bridgton resident Clara Fogg left a bequest for the establishment of a convalescent facility. Two years later, the Northern Cumberland Memorial Hospital Corporation was formed. The Auxiliary was created shortly thereafter to help raise funds for a new hospital. In 1941, a small facility for convalescent care opened at the former William F. Perry house on Main Hill.
In 1964, thanks to the dedication and tireless efforts of community leaders, (many of whom are still active in the operations of Bridgton Hospital today), a new hospital on South High Street was built to meet the region's growing need for acute care services. Since then, the facility has been renovated and expanded several times.
Bridgton Hospital has taken several major steps in the last decade to expand services and improve operations. The hospital gained access to many financial, administrative and clinical resources in 1987 when it signed a management agreement with Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston. In 1999, Bridgton Hospital became a subsidiary of CMMC, making it a critical link in an integrated regional healthcare system that is committed to improved access and a uniform standard of care. The Central Maine Medical Family today includes Bridgton Hospital, Rumford Hospital and Central Maine Medical Center.
Patients at Bridgton Hospital today have access to many services and procedures they once had to travel miles to receive. We are proud to be able to offer the highest quality of care close to home. We continue to grow and to change as our patients’ needs change. Take a “tour” of all we have to offer, either on our website, or with a visit to the hospital. Our volunteers will be happy to escort you around the facilities to see all we have become over the years. We are proud of our hospital!