The seeds for a Lakes Region hospital were sown in 1915 when Bridgton resident Clara Fogg left a bequest for the establishment of a convalescent facility. Two years later, the Northern Cumberland Memorial Hospital Corporation was formed. The Auxiliary was created shortly thereafter to help raise funds for a new hospital. In 1941, a small facility for convalescent care opened at the former William F. Perry house on Main Hill.
In 1964, thanks to the dedication and tireless efforts of community leaders, many of whom are active in the life of Bridgton Hospital today, a new hospital on South High Street was built to meet the region's growing need for acute care services. Since then, the facility has been renovated and expanded several times.
Bridgton Hospital has taken several major steps in the last decade to expand services and improve operations. The hospital gained access to an array of financial, administrative, and clinical resources in 1987 when it signed a management agreement with Central Maine Medical Center (CMMC). In 1999, Bridgton Hospital became a subsidiary of CMMC and in turn, a critical link in an integrated regional healthcare system committed to improved access and a uniform standard of care.